Frequently Asked Questions
When is the library open?
As a precaution to help limit the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), the Southborough Library is temporarily closing to the public until further notice. See more about the library's hours.
Are restrooms accessible to the public?
Yes, restrooms are available on the ground floor to the left of the Children's Library, and on the main floor to the right of the elevator.
How do I get a library card?
To get a library card, please bring in a photo identification and proof of your current residence, such as a valid driver’s license or non-driver's identification with your current address printed on the front, or a photo ID (e.g., a passport or school identification) with a piece of recent, registered mail or other valid proofs of address. Read more about how to get a library card.
How do I put a book on hold?
You can put a book on hold by logging into your online account (or calling the library at 508-485-5031). To be notified of a book's availability, the library can send you an email or give you a call.
How do I pick up a book on hold?
When you have been notified that the material is availabe, please visit the book hold area next to the circulation desk on the main floor for patrons to pick up books on hold. Please note all CHILDREN, YOUNG ADULT and ADULT materials can be picked upstairs on the main floor.
How do I use self-checkout?
The self-checkout machine is located on the main floor next to the circulation desk. Scan the barcode on your library card, then scan the library's barcode on the materials you want to check out. You can get a receipt with the due date and view your account information, including which materials you have checked out.
How do I download an eBook?
Downloading eBooks from Overdrive is different depending on the device you use:
- Windows or Mac computer
- Android device
- iOS device (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch)
- Windows 8 and up
The Southborough Library provides free wireless Internet access. It does not require a password but you will need to agree to the Terms of Agreement in order to proceed.
Does the library have computers I can use?
There are 4 computers for adults on the library's main floor, and 1 computer in the Children's Library on the ground floor.
- One of the adult computers and the children's computer are "express machines" with only 30 minutes of access. For other computers, the maximum time granted for Internet use is 2 hours. Sessions are limited to one use per day.
- Users must present a valid library card or out-of-state photo identification before being granted access.
- The library provides black & white printing at 15 cents per page. Please see staff at the circulation desk for help releasing print jobs.
- We ask that users do not install software on library computers or intentionally change settings on the library's machines.
- The library does not utilize filtering software, but viewing of pornography is prohibited in accordance with all local, state and federal laws.
To book a meeting room, please go to the Children's Library on the ground floor, and speak to a staff member.
How do I use the fax or copy machine?
- The fax machine accepts credit card payments only. The cost to fax or scan-to-email within the US, Canada, and/or the Caribbean is $1.75 for the first page, and $1.00 for each additional page.
- The copy machine accepts cash only. Black & white copies are 15 cents per page. Color copies are 50 cents per page.
To participate in the Senior Property Tax Work Program, please contact the Southborough Senior Center at 508-229-4453 for more information about the program, including when to apply and eligibility requirements.